Hi Brian, Rich: Thanks for engaging me (and one another) here. I take no
umbrage at Rich's line of argumentation. In fact, having been a lurker and
occasional poster here for several months now, I am well aware there are
(as Rich put it) "paranoid clueful paranoid diligent (did I mention
paranoid?) geeks" in our midst and expected a passionate response of some
kind. If I were easily put off by criticism, I wouldn't be doing this.

But I will say that while I'm not deeply technical, I'm acutely aware of
what I don't know. Which is why, for now, we're avoiding many of the
pitfalls you point out. Right now, we're building solely for SMS and voice
delivery of simple surveys, and aggregating that data to build profiles of
respondents. Nothing need be installed on the phone.

I will bookmark this thread as we start to think about smartphone apps, but
for all the reasons you raise, it may be a non-starter in places with
nosey, repressive regimes.

The privacy questions I have right now have to do with partitioning the DB
in such a way that a malevolent hacker, or personal info digger, couldn't
crack into our system and in one fell swoop make off with a trove of mobile
#'s + the personal info of the person connected to that number.

Whoever I bring on as CTO/technical co-founder I will expect to shape these
decisions.

I appreciate the feedback.

- Andrew