I imagine people here might have thoughts about this. Comes from a
Texas-based, civil liberties-oriented blog.

Encryption for cloud communications may best protect Fourth Amendment
rights
via Grits for Breakfast by Gritsforbreakfast on 4/6/13

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.com/2013/04/encryption-for-cloud-communications-may.html

Says readwrite mobile:
With government requests for personal data on the rise, there are few
guarantees in place that you or I won't have our private communications
snooped through. Since the Fourth Amendment hasn't yet caught up with
the lightning fast pace of technological change, some of the best
privacy protections are often the ones implemented by tech companies
themselves.
Well put. The comment comes in response to a DEA complaint that
encryption on the Apple iPhone's chat services made them indecipherable,
even with a warrant. Continued writer John Paul Titlow:
By architecting iMessage the way it did, Apple created a messaging
protocol more secure and private than standard text messages, which is
how millions of people communicate every day. As we fire those texts
back and forth, we're all creating a digital trail that can be snooped
upon or hacked more easily than we care to think about. But if they're
being and sent and received from iPhones running iOS 5 or later, those
messages are invisible to wiretaps by law enforcement or other prying
eyes.

Apple didn't have to build iMessage with end-to-end encryption. Gmail
isn't encrypted this way, nor are the Facebook messages that are
increasingly used like texts on mobile devices. Clearly, SMS text
messages aren't particularly well-secured either. Whether winning
privacy points was its motivation or not, Apple definitely racks up a
few for this.
Legislation like Texas Rep. Jon Stickland's HB 3164 to require warrants
to access electronic communications is one way to protect privacy for
third-party facilitated communications, but a far more effective one
would be if Gmail, Facebook, and other major providers encrypted user
messages. Those companies may or may not have an economic incentive to
do so, but they're arguably in a better position in many cases than
legislatures or the courts to protect privacy and Fourth Amendment
rights.

Frank SmythExecutive DirectorGlobal Journalist
Securityfrank@journalistsecurity.netTel. + 1 202 244 0717Cell + 1 202
352 1736Twitter: @JournoSecurityWebsite: www.journalistsecurity.netPGP
Public Key