I've heard this before. The story goes that, since Twitter can't tell
you that you're under investigation (NSL's come with a gag order), they
bring back some older DM's as a 'wink-knod' to let you know that they
received an NSL. I've heard a similar rumor about Google and their Gmail
service making you revalidate your account if they receive an NSL.

It sounds plausible but not likely. I'd think that, since this rumor is
so widespread, the government would have had a talk with any company who
does this and quashed it pretty quick. It just doesn't make sense. I'd
think a more likely reason for the reappearing DM's is that Twitter had
to restore something using a backup.

Anthony