I have no reason to believe this is true.  It happens to me on a regular
basis as well.

There was a similar question recently as to whether requiring someone to
re-accept the Google TOS upon logging in was an indication of the same.
 Again, these both sound like conspiracy theories to me.

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Anthony Papillion
<anth...@cajuntechie.org>wrote:

> I've heard this before. The story goes that, since Twitter can't tell
> you that you're under investigation (NSL's come with a gag order), they
> bring back some older DM's as a 'wink-knod' to let you know that they
> received an NSL. I've heard a similar rumor about Google and their Gmail
> service making you revalidate your account if they receive an NSL.
>
> It sounds plausible but not likely. I'd think that, since this rumor is
> so widespread, the government would have had a talk with any company who
> does this and quashed it pretty quick. It just doesn't make sense. I'd
> think a more likely reason for the reappearing DM's is that Twitter had
> to restore something using a backup.
>
> Anthony
>
> On 04/16/2013 02:48 PM, Ali-Reza Anghaie wrote:
> > It became "common" knowledge (read: oft-cited conspiracy) that
> > reappearing Direct Messages in Twitter were the result of an
> > investigation.
> >
> > A few minutes ago it came up again and the EFF was mentioned but
> > particular citation could not be found. I figured I would ask here.
> >
> > Do we have any real documentation or transcripts that indicate that
> > reappearing messages are actually indicative of anything? And to that
> > matter - why would compliance be broken in that way if it was anyway
> > (tipping someone off effectively)?
> >
> > I'm just curious if there was any real body of work on this or it's
> > just become repeated speculation over time. Thank you, Cheers, -Ali
> > --

US: +1-857-891-4244 | NL: +31-657086088
site:  jilliancyork.com <http://jilliancyork.com/>* | *
twitter: @jilliancyork* *

"We must not be afraid of dreaming the seemingly impossible if we want the
seemingly impossible to become a reality" - *Vaclav Havel*