On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Michael Rogers <mich...@briarproject.org>wrote:

> "This law does not allow the targeting of any US citizen or of any person
> located within the United States."
>
> Note the wording of this denial: the *target* of collection may not be a
> US citizen or a person located in the US. But if the *target* is, say, Al
> Qaeda and affiliated organisations, does the law prevent data about US
> citizens and persons located in the US from being collected and retained?
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

And in case one draws any comfort at all from these apparent limitations:
there is no chance that intelligence community representatives would take
advantage of very technical details of the wording of laws to, e.g., share
information on the citizens of other countries with whom it has formal
information sharing agreements but whom it is not supposed to directly
surveil, right? Because that would be kind of dishonest, and we know the
intelligence community is first and foremost dedicated to being truthful in
public.

http://opencanada.org/features/the-think-tank/essays/canada-and-the-five-eyes-intelligence-community/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UKUSA_Agreement

--