Pidgin is a terrible client. It has quite a bit of issues. Their SSL
handling is terrible and possible to mitm, I audited the Windows build last
August and found known vulnerabilities since 2006 in 2012.. only recently
in february that the Pidgin team released a security update..

Avoid using Pidgin at all costs.

Over at https://useotrproject.org/ we are busy extending Adam langley's
xmpp-client in Go. Creating a security, privacy and aonimity client by
default.

We hope to have a beta before ohm2013.