Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 14:31:53 +0100
From: wasabe...@gmail.com
To: liberationtech@lists.stanford.edu
Subject: Re: [liberationtech] Heml.is - "The Beautiful & Secure Messenger"

      https://whispersystems.org/
      already has an open-source secure messaging, voice and more.

      Has anyone reviewed their code?

      Does anyone use it?

      Why not build on top of it?

      On 10/07/13 14:07, Nick wrote:

          noone said it would be closed source. That's peoples guess. Like,
your guess, I guess.

      According to their twitter account, the answer is "maybe":
https://twitter.com/HemlisMessenger/statuses/354927721337470976

Peter Sunde (one of the people behind it) said "eventually", but
in my experience promises like that tend to be broken:
https://twitter.com/brokep/status/354608029242626048

        and the feature 'unlocking' aspect of the project - to be indication of
proprietary code base.

      Frankly I can't see how they could get the "feature unlock" funding
stuff to work well if it's proper open source. As I'd expect people
to fork it to remove such antifeatures. It's a pity, as several new
funding models have been successful recently which are compatible with
free software, but this doesn't look to be one of them.