On 11/08/13 at 09:37pm, Francisco Ruiz wrote:
> I still have to read through the references you supply, but I can already
> see a misconception. They refer to the dangers of carrying out cryptography
> with javascript-containing dynamic pages. My previous posting referred to
> _perfectly static_ pages
[cut]

I catched the point about secure delivery of the code, this is an open
problem and you suggested a youtube video with a spoken hash, assuming
no one could modify it. In this topic branch, let's assume that problem
resolved (but in others, specifically in the branch started by Guido
Witmond, it isn't).

Talking about syntax (and so, the programming language) you and Nadim
are correct when sentencing "it's not a problem". I know, from my
background, that every programming language will finish into assembly
code, because it is the only one recognized by my CPU, so it isn't the
node of the question. The really interesting thing is the environment
where the code is executed, compiled, interpreted: in my point of view
(but in many others) browsers aren't the best places to do critical
things, because there a lot of points which aren't under our control. Is
it Windows XP with a lot of mess installed? Is it a Linux Live CD? I
don't know. Maybe the only way is throw away the entire technology stack
and go back. But, if I need to choose between browsers and OSes, I
choose OSes because they are closer to the CPU.
You could have different vision, but please take it in consideration
when presenting your product as the non-plus-ultra program of the year.

Moving on the semantic aspect of the problem, I want to start saying my
model in every crypto thing is NaCL library. Few of us (and few in the
world) can safely play with little crypto bricks, joining them in new
and fashion protocols. This is clearly not the way of reasoning of the
majority of people: let's see for example the draft of Web Cryptography
API..
So, you had an idea: making the 20-year old PGP in a new and simple way,
to permit inexperienced users to have the same functionality. You
used little bricks (AES, elliptic curves..), and provided high level
functionalities (Lock, Unlock, Stamp, Verify).
What about reverting this paradigm, using NaCL experience as background,
and so using something which already provides high level
functionalities, focusing on user experience following your ideas (one
simple place where doing all things, less buttons, less
configurations..) ? And yes, this is only an interface problem, because
you already have the background: GPG, NaCL, ...

And don't think interface problems are trivial or stupid. They can make
differences.. big differences.

--
Liberationtech is a public list whose archives are searchable on Google.
Violations of list guidelines will get you moderated: