I don't think I've seen educated speculation here about what the court
order that Lavabit received actually ordered them to do. Here is my own
guess and I'm wondering if people have thoughts.

First, from an interview with Ladar Levison (
http://possibility.com/LavabitArchitecture.html ) it seems clear that
they wrote ciphertext to disk for each message in a users' account:

"* Do you use any particularly cool technologies or algorithms?

The way we encrypt messages before storing them is relatively unique.
We only know of one commercial service, and one commercial product that
will secure user data using asymmetric encryption before writing it to
disk. Basically we generate public and private keys for the user and
then encrypt the private key using a derivative of the plain text
password. We then encrypt user messages using their public key before
writing them to disk. (Alas, right now this is only available to paid
users.)"

So, in excruciating detail I read this to mean:

1. When a user signs-up, they create a log-in password.
2. The system creates a key pair.
3. The private key is encrypted symmetrically using some hard variant of
the log-in password.
4. Both keys stored to disk. Clear private key wiped from memory on log-out.
6. Whenever a message is stored for the user (regardless of login
state), the system encrypts it with the public key.
5. When a user logs in, their login password is turned into the hard
variant and used to symmetrically decrypt the private key. This private
key is placed in secure memory, etc.
7. When the user views a message (or presumably searches an encrypted
index of messages), it uses the private key in memory to decrypt it.
7. When the user logs out, the private key in memory is wiped.

This means that access to decrypted message content was only
available when a user was logged in. From a surveillance perspective,
this means that the private key would have to be read from memory or
during the write to memory. (I still don't know how password changes
would work here... maybe they just re-encrypt the private key with the
new hard variant?)

This is all to say that I suspect the government's order requested
ongoing access to the private key(s) in memory for some subset of
Lavabit users, such that they could ask in the future for the encrypted
contents of those users' accounts and easily look up these private keys
to get the message cleartext.

It's unclear to me if this would require an order that ordered Lavabit
to write software to do this (e.g., a backdoor), but it sounds like
that's the case. And it seems clear that by shutting down the service
last week, no one can log-in again such that their ciphertext is safe.

best, Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Senior Staff Technologist

--
Liberationtech is a public list whose archives are searchable on Google.
Violations of list guidelines will get you moderated: