The problem of SMS or any technology that requires phone numbers is that it is quite easy for a government to shut it down. In small countries far away they just have to ask the operator to disconnect you. You can use numbers in another country (international SMS), but then it becomes too expensive for the users.

If you can solve the numbers problem, you can either install your own platform to manage e-mails (such as open source FrontLine or Kannel) or cooperate with an organization such as the NGO Instedd, which operates SMS services that directly solve your problems.

There are a number of SMS services for human rights operating in Kenya and Tanzania.

https://spidercenter.org/newsroom/article/ict4democracy-east-africa-network

Javier