Richard Brooks <r...@acm.org> wrote:

> If anyone with an understanding
> of SMS, SMS web interfaces, and/or related security issues
> would be willing to point me in the right direction
> (or discuss potential issues) I (and by extension
> they) would be grateful.

SMS is basically insecure. Others in the thread have given
good advice, which you should heed, but here's my take
on it in case a slightly different perspective is also useful.

The basic problem is that all SMS messages go through
servers which may be monitored. In many countries the
service providers are under direct government control.
Anywhere else, it may be possible for government to
acquire access with some combination of appeals to
patriotism, legal (or in some places extra-legal) threats,
and promises of rewards such as government
contracts,

There are plenty of examples of actual monitoring.
During the SARS scare, people in Beijing were
arrested for "spreading rumors" via SMS. In the US,
the NSA has monitoring equipment in AT&T offices:
https://www.eff.org/nsa/hepting

It gets worse. The US has a Communications
Assistance to Law Enforcement Act (CALEA)
that basically makes it illegal for anyone to sell
phone switches without wiretap capability in the
US. As a result nearly all such switches have
the capability built in. That includes the switches
that various nasty regimes buy.

Then there are a whole range of other attacks
possible against phone systems. Trojan horse
programs can take over a smartphone to record
things like passwords or even use the phone's
mike to bug whatever room the phone is in.
Bogus cell phone towers (in the back of a
KGB, NSA or whoever van) can locate a phone
with great accuracy. Those are just two that
have been reported as commercially available;
there are likely more I don't know about.
--
Liberationtech is a public list whose archives are searchable on Google.
Violations of list guidelines will get you moderated: