On 02/25/2014 08:31 PM, David Berry wrote:

> Books want to be free. They may be costly to make, edit, proofread
> and copyedit, distribute, etc. but it only takes a visit to the
> library with a smartphone and an app or someone able to hack the
> DRM in the ePub to change the situation. This is the argument of
> this book, and I think the point of liberation tech too.

*** The author calling for piracy reminds me of a software company...
Ah, yes, Microshaft.  It would be so much better if the author would
provide a way for himself and others to not have to break the law in
order to access his argument promoting cracking DRM to change the
situation.

Some authors are very successful selling books online for a dollar
fifty, while providing a gratis download as well (on-line is the new
library) and nourishing the Creative Commons without using nor
encouraging the use of bad technology that works against the culture
they're willing to promote. How much does the DRM cost in the process
of delivering books at 44 cents a page?

Then again, what is liberating in pirating copyrighted materials?

If the argument of the book is to pirate it, then how do you want the
people who make, edit, proofread and copyedit, distribute, etc. make a
living out of their--your work?

Of course, if you're already paid by the University, it's another
story, but I doubt the whole chain is thriving on taxpayers' money.

The point of LiberationTech, as far as I understood it, is not to
pirate proprietary systems, but to create free systems. One of the
arguments that has been repeated many times on this list is that any
proprietary software making it to the list is not worth mentioning,
because, not being free, it's not secure, and therefore cannot be
considered a part of the liberating toolset.

Cheers,

==
hk