Zak Whittington <zakwh...@stanford.edu> writes:

> A friend of mine is working for an anti-genocide org in southeast asia, and
> they want to start doing some online fundraising. Their first thought was
> to do a PayPal button, but they'd rather not pay PayPal a cut of all their
> donations.
>
> Anyone know if there are any free tools out there for small social justice
> orgs to fundraise online without transaction fees or buying a costly
> software package?

CiviCRM is what we use at the FSF, and what lots of other orgs use. You
then need a payment processor, which we use TrustCommerce in addition to
PayPal, but there are other options like Stripe, and Authorize.Net (I
disrecommend them). There's no way to get around paying a percentage
other than bitcoin. (There is a module out there for accepting bitcoin
with CiviCRM, but we haven't tried it yet.) You can host CiviCRM
yourself, or on civicrm.org there is info about hosting providers that
seem pretty reasonable.

We do have a lot of donations from outside the US and they work okay via
TrustCommerce, but there may be other processors who are better suited
to whatever region most of the potential donors live.

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://my.fsf.org/join>.