Mother Jones used to have a great slogan: “You trust your mother, but you cut
the cards.”

The mother of the "telling people to go away and send their comments via Fb
messenger!” message is the BoingBoing piece here:
<http://boingboing.net/2017/01/27/the-white-house-closed-its-pub.html> The
pulll quote: "The White House closed its public comments line has been closed
for four days now; Trump says that people who want to leave a comment for the
President can write a Facebook message instead.”

Nowhere in the comments...

<https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/the-white-house-closed-its-public-comment-lines-so-activists-launched-a-tool-to-call-trump-properties-instead/93764/54>

… is there any disagreement with that. Nor is there in this thread.

So I just cut the cards, and called the White House. Here is what the voice
message there says:

"Thank you for calling the White House comment line. The comment line is
currently closed, but your comment is important to the President, and we urge
you to send us a comment online at www.whitehouse.gov/contact, or send us a
message through Facebook Messenger. For government information by topic…”

The full URL is this: https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact. There is a form to
fill out there, and a place to enter one’s comment.

The same page can also be reached by going to https://www.whitehouse.gov/,
clicking on the “Participate” heading, which brings down a menu with “Contact
the White House” on it, and the same page.

Now, it could be that Facebook Messenger yesterday (when the BoingBoing piece
went up) was the only way one could send a comment to the White House. And it
could be that President Trump said to use Facebook Messenger. (I looked and
can’t find evidence of that.)

My point: we need to be careful and check all the facts that we can.

Speaking as a child (now a geezer) of the ‘60s (when, among other things, I was
a civil rights activist in North Carolina who even fucked, stupidly, with the
Klan), I sense that doing the usual lefty things will mostly play into Trump’s
short-fingered hands. We need to budget our outrage and come at the problems he
causes from angles other than the usual ones.

Toward that, here’s one possibility, which I offer without comment:

https://www.caracaschronicles.com/2017/01/20/culturejam/

Doc