Network effects are powerful. And to create network effects, except in the
rare case of organic viral growth, requires a lot of marketing and
advertising. And marketing and advertising requires raising a lot of money.
And raising a lot of money requires angel investors, venture capital
investors, and so on. And then you are back at the Silicon Valley model of
collecting people's information and selling or trading it like a commodity.

But I have a question: What's a reasonable metric for success in terms of
the number of people using a decentralized system? My understanding is that
Diaspora remains decentralized and has a million or more users. Is that
good enough? Or do we have to be like email -- absolutely ubiquitous?