[Cross-posting to a few lists, my apologies if you see this a couple times]

Dear LibTech,

As you know, Benetech first released Martus, our secure information platform,
in 2003. Back then encryption wasn’t part of the public vernacular and no one
expected to be able to post and protect their data in the cloud, whatever that
was. A lot has changed, and we’re encouraged that additional solutions, both
commercial and open source, exist today (canary:event?ts=548967605.00) where
once there were few options for human rights defenders and others supporting
vulnerable populations. In fact, we are finding that many of these alternatives
may serve various use cases and threat models better than Martus can.

With all of this, we wanted to announce directly to this list that we have
ceased development on the current Martus platform – please see this blog post
(https://benetech.org/martus-sunsets-human-rights-data-collection/) for more
information. We are continuing to serve our current users, and can provide
advice or support with data migration to a new platform, on a case by case
basis. Our objective is to remain as responsible and ethical as possible with
this transition; change is never easy but we hope to make this process as
smooth as we can.

We recognize that there are still many unanswered questions – what the future
looks like for human rights documentation, for one – and we cannot responsibly
answer them on our own. These issues involve and will affect a larger community
of human rights defenders, social justice technologists, and funders working in
this space.

As such we are hosting a series of conversations that identify, document, and
address the needs, ethical concerns, and possible solutions for human rights
documentation tools and services going forward. This will entail scheduled
monthly calls with peer organizations, Martus users (current and former),
funders, and other supporters over a period of six months, beginning in June.

If you’d like to participate in these upcoming calls, please let us know
directly - we’d love your feedback and input. If your interest is in providing
support or technical expertise, we’d be happy to hear from you
(mailto:mar...@benetech.org?subject=Martus%20sunset) as well.

Thank you for all of your continued help and encouragement over the years!

Sending very best wishes,
Collin

--
Collin Sullivan