Joseph would you be sure to point us at some informed material on this issue?
I'd really like to read about it, having been out of touch with this exact
issue for a long time.

In the Zetter article I see an admission of something that was done up until
2007, which many of us had read at the time and thought "WFT?" So the article
seems to be writing about a situation more than 10 years ago, as if it were
commonplace today in 2018, although of course it doesn't explicitly say that.

Our systems in San Francisco are paper mark-sense ballots that are scanned, but
there is paper at the start of the process, which is preserved as an audit
mechanism. After that the process is opaque to us.

Increased attention to using only the necessary software on the voting machines
and airgapping I thought was de-rigeur after the admissions of the early 2000s.
I would love to be able to respond in an informed way when my friends ask me
about this question.

—"Sky"

Sky (Jim Schuyler, PhD)
On the web at https://red7.com <https://red7.com/>