On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Bill Vojtech <billvojt...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Sam-
>
> There are more tenants than landlords, and most think that rent
> control protects them and keeps housing affordable. Sure they're
> wrong, but...
>
> Maybe you should keep quiet on rent control till you take office.
>
> Bill

This is of course a very serious problem and the reason why the rent
control laws are there.

I have several approaches to deal with this problem.

1. Landlords and Real Estate Owners Associations will contribute money
to my campaign which I can use to advertise this issue. I believe that
the RSA, the Rent Stabilization Association, will contribute to my
campaign for this reason.

2. There are more than one hundred thousand building owners in New
York City. Although less than the number of apartment renters they
will enthusiastically support my campaign.

3. I will emphasize Rent Control over Rent Stabilization. There are
only 74,000 Rent Controlled apartments in New York City and most of
them are only paying about $200 per month. These people are leeching
off of the taxpayers and building owners and are a reasonable target.
I will not go after Rent Stabilization until I have eliminated Rent
Control, which is a different animal.

Sam Sloan