Its nice to see us work together with Greens and essential when you consider
the outrages of the police state

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: cord macguire <cordy...@hotmail.com>
To: cord macguire <cordy...@hotmail.com>
Sent: Mon, May 24, 2010 2:31:13 PM
Subject: [Green_All_Views] War on Drugs = War on Democracy

Sign the petition:

"I demand WestNet
release all 200 Washington State
marijuana legalization petition signatures
and destroy any other copies."
Hi Cord,

A federally funded drug task force seized as evidence up to 200 petition
signatures for marijuana legalization in Washington State in a series of
early-morning raids this week.  Seizing the petition signatures is bad enough.
What's worse is what the task force did on its raids of a legal marijuana
dispensary and its owner's home.

Drug agents handcuffed a 14-year-old boy and pointed a gun at his head. Then
they took $80 from a 9-year-old girl's Minnie Mouse wallet that she earned for
straight A's on her report card.

Now the drug agents - funded by the US Department of Justice - say they can
only find two pages of the petition. But they had time to make photocopies of
the petition, keeping the names and addresses of residents who signed.

We started our own petition demanding the release of the seized signatures that
we'll deliver to the task force headquarters next week.

Sign our petition to demand the federally funded drug task force release all
200 petition signatures and destroy any other copies.

http://action.firedoglake.com/page/s/WApetition?source=email52410

Ironically, it's this kind of reckless waste of time and money that makes
marijuana legalization a safer, smarter alternative than the failed war on
drugs.

Sensible Washington is the group whose marijuana legalization petitions were
seized by the federally funded agents. The group is well on its way to let
Washington State residents vote on legalization on the November ballot, but
this raid can put it in jeopardy.

The intended effect of this raid is to put a chill on other citizens from
signing the petition, who will fear having their names and addresses exposed to
a drug task force. It's intimidation, pure and simple. And your tax dollars are
paying for it.

That's why it's important we speak out about this gross violation of first
amendment rights. We need to make sure that not only is every petition
signature returned, but any other copies must be destroyed.

Demand the drug agents give back all of the seized petition signatures and
destroy any copies they made. Sign our petition here:

http://action.firedoglake.com/page/s/WApetition?source=email52410

The only thing these petition signatures are evidence of is an exercise in
democracy. Thanks for standing with us,

Jane Hamsher
Firedoglake.com

Contribute to Firedoglake to support our activism. Click here: