On Sunday 23 March 2008 12:59, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Electrolysis, yes, is very slow.  Speeding it up to a rate to fill an
> effective barrage balloon would probably (I'd set the odds at 99.999%)
> cause an explosion.

I remember miessing with it on a couple of occasions when I was a kid,  using
stuff I found in that "Golden Book of Chemistry Experiements" or whatever it
was.  First thing I tried was those soup-can sized "dry cells" (condition
dubious" and I had a lot of trouble seeing any activity on those carbon-rod
electrodes at all,  and it seemed to take darn near forever to get some gas
in a test tube.

Later on I got the bright idea of trying 120VAC,  with the use of an old
selenium rectifier I'd scavenged somewhere or other.  It couldn't have
handled more than 500mA or so of current,  not like all sorts of diodes that
are out there these days.  The reaction was quite vigorous!  :-)  And adding
water to replace what I'd used up,  one interesting side reactoin was that
the stuff left in the beaker got darker and darker as time went on,  because
all of the contaminants remained behind.  I've never been into drinking tap
water all that much ever since.  :-)

> As usual, I hate to agree with Larry, but tanks of gas (hydrogen works,
> helium is expensive) are the better choice.  You can fill the tanks
> yourself, even using electrolysis, but to do it safely takes time, expensive
> gear and a gagload of energy.

Yeah,  but how long can you store it?  In discussions talking about the use of
hydrogen in vehicles it was pointed out to me that the stuff *leaks*,  pretty
much continuously,  because of the small size of the H2 molecule.  I've heard
of other methods of storing other than simply as a compressed gas,  but how
you'd get it out of that storage isn't something I've looked at.  Heck,  even
helium balloons eventually leak to the point where what's left won't hold up
the weight of the balloon any more,  usually in a matter of days,  roughly.

-
M Dakin