Anonymous posted to blog. - 4:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2008
> So, Goat...
> Once we've disassembled the CRTs and other old TV equipment, microwave
> units and other electrical equipment with copper coils, and other
> metals...
>
> What are we supposed to do with it all? From your intro, I sense that
> you're not advocating selling it to the scrap metal dealer for FRNs
> and small change. Do you have plans for a furnace and cauldron to melt
> it all down and pour into ingots? As a teen I worked in an aluminum
> foundry, where they used copious amounts of energy to generate the
> 1400+/- degrees necessary to liquify that particular metal. Not
> something that the average freedom-loving homeowner has the capacity
> or the money to deal with. If one lives "in town", having a scrap
> metal stockpile in the yard tends to irritate the neighbors, so there
> are some practicality issues there as well.

Goat sayz:
I take it you may live in a venue that has strict zoning
laws, and that people around you (as in neighbors) have internalized and
probably love their own slavery, which is the main reason that zoning
laws exist. Word of advice, get out as fast as you can. Clearly, not
every one will be able or willing to take part in the logistic stages of
this project, especially the faint of heart, less then creative,
innovative, or enterprising. If one is unable or unwilling to leave a
place or attempt these ideas at their present location, then one
suggestion is to find or know people who are already in a better
position or mind set to participate and assist in the logistics part of
the project, though a group effort certainly makes sense in a very lot
of ways too. Adapt, improvise, and overcome, should be one of our battle
cries in our movement to restore our independence in all circumstances
any ways, and is what made America great to begin with. In some ways,
the loss of that spirit is responsible for our decline as a people.

Selling off the other lessor metals, which is not the main aim of our
endeavors in retaining (though there are many reason for retaining them
for those who are able, willing, and see the value in doing so), is
certainly an option. Our main goal is to collect (or hoard) copper, and
not necessarily to even process it at this time. Nor does everyone have
to have the capability to process and / or coin the copper. Most the
history of this country (the US), the government would mint coin for
those who brought the metals into them, and I think that this is an idea
that we could imitate, so that people who didn't or couldn't precess and
/ or coin the metals themselves could take the copper into somebody that
could and would, and for a small percentage, process and coin the metals
for them, returning the coined copper to the one who brought it in, that
they would be entitled to receive, or the persons set up to mint and /or
process such coin could just give the already coined copper entitled to
the person when they brought their copper in to begin with. People who
are set up to do such work with copper, should or could be the first, to
offer such copper scrap for sale to as well, so that they can keep it in
the community and start processing it in turn, to offer to the client,
if the client would rather proceed in that manner.

Such work of melting into some form of ingot is not that hard or
equipment extensive or expensive (in fact, there are many do it yourself
solutions), and there is a very lot of information on the net regarding
such. Look up copper melting to get you started. I would suggest that
those who are going to endeavor to set up to process, would give some
price incentive in the form of more return of coined copper, for more
work done by the client in the process work end. Every one should
remember this isn't so much about making a killing off the idea or scalp
our fellow compatriots, then to literally make money or means of
exchange, as a way to save our bacon and start to return or restart an
honest money system. It should be more considered a work of love or
patriotism, then a way to turn a fast buck. There really is no down side
to hoarding copper, as if things don't completely fall apart or things
don't work out in other ways as they might to make this a going concern,
then you will have lost nothing, because you will always be able to turn
it for whatever is passing as fiction at the moment. I imagine that
this may have more appeal to the people who are on the lower end of the
economic scale, and it is a good way for them to store some value as a
hedge against inflation and a deteriorating dollar, just as silver and
gold, etc. is for those with more means, though there is certainly
nothing I suggest that I would dissuade, those of more means from
participating or even helping to fund or set up the operations, it is
just that this will be something that everybody, richer or not will be
able to participate in, as gold and silver does require having some
monetary means to invest in, though more and more, because of the
declining dollar and higher prices of those metals, more are becoming
less and less to be able to afford or justify the gold and silver
acquisition.

The biggest obstacle to the whole process, as far as I can tell, will be
in the actual coining process itself. Not that it is that complicated,
just that it requires some equipment expense and set up. Some sort of
press, maybe a roller mill and the dies. The dies are the hardest thing
in the whole process, as it would be nice to have sets that were nicely
engraved, standardized, and perhaps certified by some "governing" body.
None of these "governing" things are necessary for the feller wishing to
do it alone of course, but having such would instill some confidence in
the arrangements with the public, and assure some oversight and trust
in, for those that wish to participate in the association, as well as
guidance and group buys or discounts might be possible. Any insight or
discussion on these matter would be appreciated. As well, as I've stated
before, such preparations are useful and applicable to other endeavors
that we as a society need to start to rebuild.

As far as getting rid of the dregs of the scraping process, that is
something a little innovation should solve. It shouldn't be to hard to
put it in a garbage bag down in your trash can, and let the trash men
take it to the dump. Some services are different in what they will take
(ours will take about anything, if it isn't to big or heavy, and when
it is bagged and in a garbage can, they just toss it in the back, and
are on to the next stop). Storage the same applies too, innovation. A
lot of copper will fit in a garbage can or drum.

> By the way, I like the idea of saving circuit boards, since there is
> supposed to be a fair amount of silver solder and some gold in them.
> Not sure how to suggestions?

Goat continues:
No, as I have never seen any gold or silver solder in
any type of equipment that we are discussing, though keep your eyes
open. They may use silver solder in the newer non lead electronics, but
I have no idea what they use. If anybody knows, or would like t do some
research, then please do so and let us know.
Goat

End second discussion response.