-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [survivalretreat] Reinventing Collapse: The Soviet Example and
American Prospects
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 12:39:33 -0000

Posted by Gail the Actuary.

Dmitry Orlov's new book, Reinventing Collapse: The Soviet Example and
American Prospects, was published very recently. I pre-ordered a copy
because Dmitry has had first hand experience with the collapse of the
Soviet Union, and he believes, as I do, that economic collapse is
likely to come first, if a society is on an unsustainable course. The
great mystery to me is what lies on the other side of an economic
collapse.

In this book, Dmitry gives his view of what may be on the other side,
and how one might prepare for it. Dmitry starts with a recipe for
collapse of a modern military-industrial power:

The ingredients I like to put in my superpower collapse soup are: a
severe and chronic shortage in the production of crude oil (the magic
elixir of industrial economies), a severe and worsening trade
deficit, a runaway military budget and ballooning foreign debt. The
heat and agitation can be provided most efficaciously by a
humiliating military defeat and widespread fear of a looming
catastrophe.

He then goes on to explain how the Soviet Union followed this recipe
in the late 1980s, leading to its collapse, and how the United
States, with its conflict in Iraq, may be following a similar course.

Many readers are familiar with Dmitry's talk, Closing the 'Collapse
Gap': the USSR was Better Prepared for Collapse than the US. In that
talk, as in the book "Reinventing Collapse", he points out that the
USSR provided housing, transportation, fuel, and garden plots for
Soviet citizens, so when financial collapse came, citizens could
still get along fairly well. The United States lacks this safety
network, so financial collapse is likely to be more of a problem here.

The kinds of things Dmitry expects after financial collapse are
shortages of fuel, food, medicine and consumer items; outages of
electricity, natural gas and water; transportation breakdowns;
hyperinflation; widespread layoffs, plus a lot of despair, confusion,
violence and lawlessness. According to him, we should not expect "any
grand rescue plans, innovative technology programs, or miracles of
social cohesion".

The political establishment is likely to remain intact, at least
initially, and will attempt to keep up appearances. There will be
paralysis due to the government's inability to spend money in the
usual way. There will be less respect for authority, and many laws
will be ignored. There is likely to be a flood of internal refugees,
as places that require heat or air conditioning become uninhabitable.

In this setting, Dmitry expects a new informal economy to emerge --
one that is based more on barter, and is often semi-criminal. One of
the biggest sources of revenue initially will be dismantling and
reselling parts of what are now stranded assets--homes that cannot
longer be used, airplanes that are no longer needed, and even
equipment used in some factories.

Dmitry has some thoughts on how one survives and even thrives in this
new setting. He mentions the possibility of a new political party,
the "Collapse Party". If it is clear collapse is inevitable and the
current political parties have nothing to offer, the logical thing
would be to have a Collapse Party, to dismantle institutions that
have no future and to save what can be saved. He doesn't think such a
party is likely to succeed, however.

If it is not really possible to mitigate, he believes that what one
must do is adapt--psychologically as much as any other way. In the
new order, relationships with other people will become more
important, and relationships based on deeds, contracts, notes, and
the like will recede in importance. We will need to lower our
standards as to what is acceptable in many areas, including body
odor, straight teeth, and medical care. Dmitry has several creative
suggestions for occupations. Dmitry suggests that some may choose to
be nomadic, since there are advantages to having multiple bases of
operation.

I very much enjoyed the book. Dmitry describes his book as a "series
of intentionally provocative thought experiments". None of us can
know what is ahead, but Dmitry offers us some helpful insights.
Dmitry has a wonderful sense of humor, so we find ourselves laughing
rather than crying about the future.

June 1, 2008 - 10:00am

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/4053#more