Zack Bass wrote:
> --- In LibertarianEnterprise@yahoogroups.com, "Gary F. York"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I argue from my own 'moral' intuitions;
>> I do not and have never claimed
>> them to be an objective standard.
>>

> Objective schmobjective, when you argue for them you believe that they
> are RIGHT, don't you?  You don't argue because you believe they are
> WRONG, do you?

A little humility seems indicated.  Most of the "jerks" and "shitheads"
you rail against likely believe they're "RIGHT" as well.  It's what
makes them willing to bother you.

Much of the difficulty we see in the world issues from  people who feel
free to act on their morality and impose their idea of RIGHT and WRONG
on others.  Clearly we can avoid great difficulty if we will just --
stop doing that.

Therefore I don't see NAP as an exercise in moral behavior; rather, it
is an attempt to constrain moral behavior.  It says, "Let's all just
agree on one little point of _behavior_ and you'all can think as you like.
> We realize that we may not get it exactly right every time, but we do
> try to get it right, and when we say it is Wrong to murder one's
> neighbors, we do not mean that it is Wrong for some but not for
> others, do we?

Good.  You get it right sometimes and sometimes fail.  Glad you're
trying.  They get it right sometimes and also sometimes fail.  Hope
they're trying to.
>> each person's 'standard' has usually
>> undergone repeated modification to justify their own behavior.  We seem
>> to have some mild preference to always consider that we are 'in the
>> right' and the other to be the transgressor.  In short, we'd rather
>> modify our morality than confess (or admit to ourselves) that we'd
>> actually done something bad.
>>

> I have experienced just the opposite:  I have from time to time
> realized that something I thought was okay was Immoral, and I
> thenceforth ceased doing it and regretted having been Wrong in the
> past and endeavored to go and sin no more.

Yeah; that happens too.  It probably doesn't happen quite enough.
> The thing that clinched my realization that I was firmly in the
> libertarian camp was an one-sentence argument in a magazine against
> "Right To Work Laws", which I had more or less supported until then.
> This Evil is coming into the news again in the last couple of days; I
> expect some Lib Lites (as I confess I was, 35 years ago) to come out
> in favor of such Laws.

Enlightenment strikes in the strangest places. :)

G.