On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 01:26:54PM +0800, "Dennis Lan (dlan)"
<dennis.y...@gmail.com> wrote:
>    It's quite obvious.
>    With this patch, Any package depend on libev can use pkg-config to
> detect/check.

Why would a package that depends on libev wants to detect it, when it
needs it anyway?

> Retrieve the cflags, libs, or other information (make life easier).

While these values can be retrieved, they are only useful if you install
libev in nonstadard locations on your system, and even then, it will
conflict with the system-installed libev if you have one, because
pkg-config cannot differentiate between the two. It cannot set the correct
ABI either. I don#t see how it can be useful for anything, in fact.

(In fact, when it's in a non-standard location, pkg-config will not detect
it either).

>    Yes, it's a quite trivial patch, but useful.

I fail to see it's usefulness. I can see it having negative effects
because people rely on pkg-config to give them unusable cflags or libs,
and then stumble over hard-to-debug problems. pkg-config does nothing to
solve the problem of finding the library and using proper cflags and libs.

> And It doesn't hurts?

While the potential for hurt is not big (at least in typical situations)
the potential for usefulness is even lower (certainly in typical
situations).

>    It would be great if can include...

I don't think it is. Fedora included it and patched programs to use it,
and now it's hard for them to remove it - it's best to avoid this kind of
lock-in, especially when there are no demonstrated advantages.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      schm...@schmorp.de