On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 01:35:07AM +0900, Adrian Chadd wrote:
 [...]
> I raised the possibility of breaking out the non-"event" code into
> separate libraries with enforced API boundaries. We were talking
> about various directions 2.0 can go in (in the context of doing
> sensible async IO that will scale under both windows and unix,
> given their differences of opinion in APIs :) but Nick's design
> goals differ slightly from my ideals.

I definitely like the idea of enforced API boundaries, and the
protocol specific code is already built as a separate library
(libevent_extra) so that people who only want the central event code
can just link against libevent_core.

If I understand correctly, Adrian, you also think that bufferevent-ish
stuff should have API-separation from the event-ish stuff (which I
believe in) and that it should go into a separate library from
libevent_core (which I don't agree with, but I don't feel too strongly
about).

The remaining question here is whether (and to what extent) to split
non-libevent-core stuff into a separate source package.  I don't feel
strongly here either; there are arguments for keeping it in one source
package and arguments for splitting it.  Personally, I think it's one
of those "bikeshed" issues whose accessibility garners it attention
beyond its actual impact.  Probably we should revisit it after
Libevent 2.0 is out; there is enough architectural stuff slated for
2.0 already IMO.

yrs,
--
Nick