On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 08:35 -0800, Jay P Hailey wrote:
> 2)  Selective Service, Education Department to compare notes
>     Brownsville Herald
>
> "With continuing war in Iraq and U.S. armed forces dispersed to so
> many other locations around the globe, Americans may be wondering if
> compulsory military service could begin again for the first time

Compulsory service never went away, just conscription. Every member of
the armed forces agreed to it when they signed their contract. It
contains clearly marked clauses that they can keep you longer if they
decide to, reactivate you, etc..

Some call it  aback door draft, I call it "you agreed to it". Still, it
does qualify as compulsory service.

That said, I still do not see the draft or use of SS anywhere in the
near future. There is a lot of "political capital" against it. It may
suprise many to learn that those in the military are among the most set
against it.

As a result of that, I'd actually expect military commanders at the
Pentagon level to lie about troop needs to prevent it. Yes, the attitude
against drafts is that strong in the military. Now to be clear, I'm not
advocating that behaviour, just pointing out the possibility.

Nor am I saying to pooh-pooh concerns over a draft. What I am saying is
not to cry wolf at each move of the SS or raise a hue and cry over each
mention of the words draft, selective service, and so on. Further,
politically, the willingness to allow a draft is so far from reality
among a super-majority of voters and politicians that they pretty much
view people making a fuss over it as paranoid. In other words, you get
no traction with it.

And by the way ... hi Jay! ;)

Cheers,
Bill