Good evening, all...

I don't know if the following story will hit any of you in the breadbasket
or not, but it certainly made me sit upright in my chair and begin hurling
expletives in all four directions. If the reactionaries in the DHS
continue unabated with their master plan, it won't be much longer before
the time comes when, as some suggest, we will need an ID card to buy food.
Say, doesn't that sound just a TRIFLE familiar?

EMERGENCY ID CARDS RAISE PRIVACY CONCERNS

An effort by officials at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to
prepare families and schoolchildren for terrorist attacks has some
worried that increased identity theft will be a by-product of the
initiative. DHS sent preparedness forms to school districts around the
country, encouraging junior and senior high school students to fill out
and carry ID cards with them at all times. The cards include space for
home address, as well as birth dates and Social Security numbers for
other family members. Patrick Lynch, attorney general for Rhode Island,
said his office immediately sent a letter to DHS when he learned of the
ID cards, asking that they be modified to exclude such sensitive
information. Lynch said he has not received a response to his letter,
dated October 14. Barry Steinhardt, director of the American Civil
Liberties Union Liberty Project, characterized DHS's actions as
"grossly irresponsible." Representatives of DHS downplayed the risk of
identity theft posed by the ID cards but said that newer versions of
the preparedness kits do not encourage students to carry the cards in
their backpacks. The cards still include space for Social Security
numbers, though cards sent to younger students later this year
reportedly will not.

[SOURCE]
Wall Street Journal, 24 November 2004 (sub. req'd)
http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB110125761251482555,00.html
[Seen at the used_kharma.technical newsgroup

Dave
--
Dave Laird ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
The Used Kharma Lot / The Phoenix Project

An automatic & random thought For the Minute:
Is your job running?  You'd better go catch it!