Good morning, Bill!

> On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 22:02 -0800, Lowell C. Savage wrote:
> > Assuming randomness, you have one chance out of ten that a vote total is
> > multiple of 10.  To happen twice would be odds of 1 out of 10 x 10 or
> 1/100.
>
> Nope, that is a case of "the gamblers fallacy".
> http://www.fallacyfiles.org/gamblers.html
>
> See other post for details.

No.  The gambler's fallacy in this case would be using the first result to
change the odds of the second.  That wasn't what I was up to.  Rather, I was
computing the odds of the total event.  If you roll two ordinary dice, you
have a 1/6 * 1/6 = 1/36 chance of getting snake eyes (double ones).  If you
had ten-sided dice, then the chances would be 1/10 * 1/10 = 1/100.  So, the
odds of two counties in the same legislative district having vote totals
divisible by 10 would be 1/10 * 1/10 = 1/100.

Lowell C. Savage
It's the freedom, stupid!
Gun control: tyrants' tool, fools' folly.