Good evening Ed!

Ed Fischang aka shadow wrote to Conster...

Conster wrote in part:
> I don't mean going in there with guns blazing, but if that is
>  C> the only means available to get these chemical brewing freaks out of the
>  C> neighborhood, so be it. I wouldn't think it bad if a little vigilantism
>  C> was involved. No one wants a Meth lab in their neighborhood.

To which you replied:
> In a Libertarian world, your neighbors wouldn't be making meth next door -
> Eli Lilly and Company would, in a proper chemical plant, and its products
> would be available at 7-11 and Circle K, cheaper and cleaner than your
> neighbors could make.

Thanks Ed. That's part of the argument I didn't get into last
night; maybe I should have, but didn't want to suggest for some
who might be thinking about that, that the Libertarian Party
supports usage and mainstream production of dangerous killer
drugs.

You are correct, and history collaborates that this would
ultimately become reality, vis-a-vis the lifting of prohibition
virtually ended the crime wave surrounding the production and
distribution of bootleg whiskey and other alcoholic beverages.  I
am certainly not trying to place alcoholic beverages in the same
category as Meth either, only pointing out that if prohibitions
against drugs were lifted, then mainstream corporate interests
would step in and drive the current crime ridden underground
network out of business practically overnight.  Prices for such
substances would also plummet making illicit manufacturing less
attractive.

If there would be any positive side to this, it would certainly
be a vast reduction in overall capital crime rates, safer
streets, and less emphasis upon recruitment and sales to young
people.  I am not so sure that this would either raise or lower
overall consumption rates, however.

But as I pointed out last night, it would provide an opportunity
for ordinary people to step in and make a difference is sales and
consumption of very dangerous drugs.

Let's assume, just for starters, that legalization could be
implemented starting tomorrow morning.  What would really
happen?  Let's check it out:

1.  Most courts would no longer be crammed with frivolous drug
possession, sale and distribution cases, and free up space for
real crimes wherein real victims can be identified;

2.  We would need far less police officers on the streets, and
far less investigators wasting time and taxpayer dollars
prosecuting cases where no victim of a crime could be identified;

3.  We could largely empty a large percentage of overcrowded
prisons, and maybe close many of them down instead of spending
billions on constructing new prisons and incarceration
facilities;

4. The draconian vehicle and property confiscation process would
end, and normal, law abiding, citizens would no longer lose their
cars, boats, homes and other possessions in confiscations;

5. Midnight police gestapo raids on homes, sometimes the wrong
homes, would largely become a thing of the past;

6. Police would have more time and manpower to go after real
threats, such as terrorists, murderers, rapists and burglars, and
other crimes in which leave victims who otherwise would be forced
to compete for attention from the justice system with now
voluminous drug related cases.

Of course there are a lot more benefits that we could cite.  Many
of our civil liberties could be restored, since they were taken
away from us in the first place under the false pretext of aiding
efforts to track down and identify drug criminals.

So, although we do have a drug problem in America, we would be
much better able to end most of the violence associated with it
by simply legalizing drugs and enabling the free market to
regulate such trade. It would also open a plethora of
opportunities for ordinary people to work in the direction of
lessening drug abuse without the government becoming the chief
part of the problem, as it is now.

Kindest regards,
Frank