Good morning, Frank...

Frank Reichert wrote:

> I wish that I had read this first, before I read the original.  I
> was curious who this individual was, since I hadn't noticed any
> subscriber changes when I checked earlier.  I was clueless since
> I opened it on the email side and noticed it originated from
> usenet news.

Yes, and what is even worse, it originated with The Used Kharma Lot! That,
to my knowledge, is the first incidence where a domain-wide spam assault
has gotten by the firewall in nearly six years, but I seem to have
isolated it now.

> Now, what exactly does this thing do anyway?  I need to find out
> now, and possibly others around here might also like to hear some
> information if they opened it up on their own systems.

It is a tidy little piece of SPAM, but it redirects the user to a web site
which appears to be Spyware. If you look at the entire spk.* domain,
you'll see the same user, hailing from a DSL account in Verizon, managed
to send one or two similar messages to nearly every newsgroup before I
caught onto what was happening and get them shut down.

Although my Linux workstation didn't particularly have any trouble
ignoring some of the tricks in the one web site, I'm certain a Windows box
might have more trouble, as the older versions of Windows in particular,
are quite vulnerable to Spyware web page tricks.

Recommendations:

1. Check your anti-virus software frequently. Keep it updated and current
to the latest security patch levels.
2. Always attempt to run the latest version of Windows, and studiously
keep it updated with the latest security patches. (A real MUST!) Also, if
you are running an older release of Windows, strongly consider purchasing
a piece of mainstream software to help combat Spyware.
3. If at all possible, my personal preference is to run any version of
Linux workstation or the most current Macintosh O/S, as they are quite
resistant to such "tricks".

Post other technical questions to either used_kharma.tech or spk.tech, as
there are several very savvy people who regularly contribute other ideas
and methods there, as well.

Dave
--
Dave Laird ([EMAIL PROTECTED])