Frank Reichert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in part:

>Maybe perhaps, we need to address how principles, versus Party
>labels, fit into this mix in terms of American politics.  And, in
>such a context, just how can principles, or at least individuals
>in principle, run for public office when Parties (in and of
>themselves) most often reflect expediency in terms of 'getting
>elected'?

The forms of gov't & of institutions or traditions have some input there,
though it may not be decisive.

You're asking essentially two things:

(1) How important are political parties and their operation to politics in
the USA?

(2) In the operation of political parties, campaigns, and governance in the
USA, what is the relative weight given to principles of any kind vs. the
desire of individuals for jobs and other perquisites?

I can say that as it currently stands w.r.t. #1, the party systems are
relatively weak in the USA compared to those in most other countries whose
politics I've read of.  The decline in the strength of the party systems in
the USA over the past century or less has been remarked about widely by
political scientists.  It should be noted that the founders of the USA
expressed a desire to forestall the development of "faction", and if they
were sincere in that abstract desire they may well have applauded that
recent trend.

However, there is considerable variation from state to state in the
strength of party systems w.r.t. campaigns and/or governance.  For
instance, NY & NJ, at least, are said to have tightly controlled parties in
their state legislatures, with most important issues decided by party-line
votes, and members of the assembly & senate of these states being subject
to stringent discipline by the respective party leaders among them.

When it comes to question #2, I don't know whether the USA is particularly
an outlier.  It seems to me that the richer a country is, the less urgent
politics appear to the voters, and the more the political class look to
politics as make-work for them, increasingly divorced from ideology or
other principles.  On that scale the USA is far along merely because we're
so rich, not because we're away from that correlation.

>Now the question.  If you are a Libertarian in Hawaii, or in
>Idaho, what do you do?

If you're a Libertarian, i.e. a member of the Libertarian Party, I suggest
you quit it in Hawaii as much as anywhere else!  But there's still plenty
you can do as a libertarian without having your own political party.  There
are many issues on which the Democrats in HI or the Republicans in ID are
at equipoise -- that is, that party's leadership and/or grass roots not
coming down decisively on either side of.  That's where you have leverage,
even in the relatively short run of local & state-level politics.

In Your Sly Tribe,
Robert