*** Forwarded message, originally written by Jon Roland on 31-Oct-05 ***

 From a list for constitutional law professors.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Alito, libertarianism, and conservatism
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:50:02 -0500
From: Ilya Somin
To: conlawprof <conlawprof@lists.ucla.edu>

The discussion of the disparate parts of the conservative coalition led me to
reflect on how Alito fits in. And I think it's clear that he has much to
offer to libertarians as well as to social conservatives, and that in this
respect he's far from being a Scalia clone. Consider his record on the
following:

1. Alito has voted in favor of the rights of minority religious groups. For
example, in Fraternal Order of Police v. Newark, he joined an opinion holding
that Muslim police officers had a right to keep their beards so long as the
city allowed "secular" exemptions from the no-beard policy. This is certainly
in tension with Scalia's position in Smith, and points to a greater sympathy
for individual rights. And given that the case involved Muslims, it's hard to
argue that Alito was just voting for the rights of a group whose religious
values he shares.

2.  Freedom of speech. In Saxe v. State College Area School District, 240
F.3d 200 (3d Cir. 2001), he concluded that sexual harassment law should not
be allowed to infringe on free speech. He has also written opinions
protecting commercial speech, as in a case where he struck down a ban on paid
alcohol advertisements in student newspapers.

3. Federalism. In US v. Rybar (1996), Alito dissented from a case upholding
the federal statute that bans machine gun possession. This suggests that he
would not go soft on federalism, as Scalia did in Raich. I don't think the
case can be explained simply on the grounds that Alito sympathizes with
private ownership of machine guns, as he favorably refers to state bans on
machine gun possession.

4. Refugee rights. In INS v. Fatin, Alito wrote an opinion holding that an
Iranian woman was entitled to refugee status based on her gender and her
support for women's rights. While not a constitutional case, this is a more
important issue than it sounds, for 2 reasons. First, such cases are quite
common, and federal courts have considerable discretion in reviewing agency
decisions on refugee status. Second, it clearly differentiates Alito from the
numerous conservative judges who tend to just defer to whatever the agency
wants to do in these cases.

Cases like this directly pit the libertarian value of protecting refugee
rights against the goals of many conservatives in 1) limiting immigration,
and 2) maximizing executive discretion. It is interesting that Alito, at
least to a considerable extent, came down on the libertarian side.

Obviously, I would not argue that Alito is a libertarian or that he would
vote the "libertarian way" on every issue. Far from it. However, there is
clearly much to for libertarians to like in his record. I think there are
also things that at least some liberals should like, particularly points 1
and 4 above, and maybe point 2 as well. Liberals should think seriously about
whether they would rather have a conservative with a significant libertarian
streak, like Alito, or a pro-government stealth conservative who will be just
as likely to overturn Roe as Alito will, but is unlikely to vote for
restricting the government in speech cases, freedom of religion, and so on.
Finally, I hope that liberals will reconsider their tendency to reject
Alito's stance on federalism, but this is a subject for another post.

Ilya Somin
Assistant Professor of Law
George Mason University School of Law
3301 Fairfax Dr.