Last night, Nov. 6, I turned on channel 4 and saw what looked like a debate
between candidates for election to the US senate, which is just a year
away.  Then I looked more closely and saw that one of the "candidates" was
Alan Alda PLAYING a candidate.  Although I came in in the middle of it and
so can't comment on its entirety, I heard probably half, and can truly say
Alan Alda (playing the Republican) delivered possibly the best libertarian
candidate material I've ever heard broadcast.  He had the better lines, and
more of them, than the "Democrat", and of course as a pro actor giving
rehearsed material Alda delivered it excellently.  I could tell where the
sympathy of the writer lies, because his "opponent" appeared to be
grandstanding, less substantial, and less effective than Alda's character.
(That is, it seemed Alda was playing the good guy.)

Some of you think the entire function of LP should be an educational one,
the purpose of its candidates for public office being to get, and reach, an
audience for libertarian ideas.  Last night I saw that done more
effectively and for probably as large an audience (I think the show was
over the network) as LP nominees ever get (possibly rivaled by Howard Stern
in audience size) -- and the campaign was fictional!  But if you have no
hope of being elected, how is a fictional campaign for election in any way
inferior to a real one?  And how could the ideas possibly be put in a more
favorable light than was done by Alan Alda and his writers?

Don't you think you'd do better to work on things like becoming a TV
writer, or some other media job, than on purely educational campaigns "for
election" that you won't even get paid for?  Think of it -- the people who
made that TV show were paid for their work!

Bounty?  Rely, Iris!,
Robert