Rob

> However, I've concluded that drug prohibitionism is driven
> by a small minority of highly motivated sadists.

I am surprised to hear you say that.

My impression of the UK scene, and I imagine the UK is not so
different from the US in this regard, is that prohibition
is seen as a valid response to the drug problem.

Many parents do not want to see their children sucked into a life
of addiction to very damaging chemicals. So, a way to fight back
is to ban.

I am not saying that I agree with this logic but there do seem
to be alternatives to the "sadist" theory you advance,
assuming I have understood you correctly.

Regards
Tim

The Matrix
Neo: I'm going to show them a world without you, a world without
  rules and controls.