A few days ago libertarian friend John Pachak here in NYC told me of a
trend he'd noticed in the USA extending from the 1960s or possibly even the
1950s.  He said the camps of "left" and "right" (and maybe other opposing
camps as well) used to be more willing to listen to each other (i.e. of the
opposite camp), to treat each other as sincere and with some important
concerns and facts on their side, and that that no longer seems to be the
case.  He sees the camps as having drawn increasingly away from each other
and inward to the extent that they now look at each other with complete
distrust, not just honest good-faith disagreement.

I'm a little younger than he is, and I can't say whether that's really the
case, or whether we're just prone (for some reason) to view the past as a
time of greater civility of discourse.

In Your Sly Tribe,
Robert