On 10-Jan-06, Frank Reichert wrote:

 FR> I think some of this is now occurring again at the Federal level,
 FR> as it has long been the propensity of the US Senate to be greatly
 FR> divided on Supreme Court nominees over judicial philosophy....

I have to disagree here. The GOP controlled Senate gave passes to Clinton's
nominees (Ginzburg and Breyer?), although it knew their philosophies greatly
differed with that espoused by the Contract with America.

 FR> ... It is interesting to be sure, that the character of judicial
 FR> philosophy usually isn't the subject or character of the questions posed
 FR> to nominees....

Agreed - the litmus test these days is Roe vs. Wade.

 FR> ... However, during my lifetime in observing these proceedings, it has
 FR> been my observation that usually the questions over the moral issues
 FR> usually somehow revolve around a divergence in judicial philosophy, that
 FR> being, a strict interpretation of the US Constitution based upon the
 FR> original intent, and that of a relative character based entirely upon
 FR> applying the language to current relative issues -- usually at a great
 FR> stretch, and subjectively interpreted.

The GOP pays lip service to the Constitution, but the bottom line is that
they have determined that the Constitution poses no threat to our current
form of government.

 FR> I think what we are dealing with here is simply trying to define
 FR> areas in which the original authors of Constitutions probably
 FR> never considered would take place at a time and space in which
 FR> they likely didn't contemplate at the time the State
 FR> Constitutions where written and ratified; that is also the case
 FR> of course, with our national Constitution to be sure.

 FR> I have to believe that each of these are State issues, and ought
 FR> to be resolved in the State Courts.  The Federal government
 FR> should not arbitrarily walk in and overrule State Courts as the
 FR> Supreme Court did in the Roe vs. Wade case.  I suggest only that
 FR> I have more confidence in State Courts to decide matters that are
 FR> mainly relevant at the local or state level.

What are you, some kind of wild-eyed radical?