On Monday 24 April 2006 10:29, Frank Reichert wrote:
> Now here's something I hadn't heard about before... I wonder, if
> this is
> true, why the media haven't been hyping this up with gas prices now
> around $3.00 a gallon.

Because we've sorta been down this road before. It is the "shale oil"  that
they are talkign about. However, there have been to my knowledge no federal
madates, the oil companies have been doing this on their own for quite some
time.

Last year Shell did some pilots regarding a new method for turning the "shale
oil" into "real oil" in-ground. The process is doable in the 20-35$/bbl
range. It is a very cool process that doesn't leave the area devastated. It
essentially "cooks" it into oil and thereafter you just pump it out as a
normal well would. The only difference is the crude is actually "cleaner"
-easier to refine.

It does require large amounts of energy, best obtained either from small
nuclear (PBR for example) plants or seriously cool solar concentrators for
direct thermal energy conversion. Last year/this year shell pushed congress
to expand the amount of land they can test on since the fedgov "owns" all the
land that this "shale oil" sits under.

The reason we don't hear about it is two-fold. One, Shell doesn't want the big
hyped scenario from a ffew decades ago. They want to get it fully tested and
"vetted" before going public in a big way.

Second, and this is my supposition, they want to let OPEC and the others sit
and stew in their soon-to-be-glass house. Let them hang themselves, if you
will. With prices remaining high they can take advantage of it to build
"escrow" for building the needed infrastructure. If they can control the full
cycle they'll be fully independent of OPEC and all foreign crude. I suspect
they are also waiting to see how far the current E85 movement gets.

So yes, it is based on truth at least. About the rest well ... that's up to
others. I can only speak on what I already know about.

Cheers,
Bill