Good evening, Bill!

Bill Anderson wrote in response to Frank Reichert's forwarded msg...

On Monday 24 April 2006 10:29, Frank Reichert wrote:

Now here's something I hadn't heard about before... I wonder, if
this is
true, why the media haven't been hyping this up with gas prices now
around $3.00 a gallon.

Because we've sorta been down this road before. It is the "shale oil" that they are talkign about. However, there have been to my knowledge no federal madates, the oil companies have been doing this on their own for quite some time.

I didn't get the msg that 'shale oil' had a damn thing to do with any of this. The orignal report indicated that a mega oil deposit is available now for exploration and development that probably exceeds existing deposits in places such as Saudi Arabia. However...

Last year Shell did some pilots regarding a new method for turning the "shale oil" into "real oil" in-ground. The process is doable in the 20-35$/bbl range. It is a very cool process that doesn't leave the area devastated. It essentially "cooks" it into oil and thereafter you just pump it out as a normal well would. The only difference is the crude is actually "cleaner" -easier to refine.

OK. Given that, then we are already in the $70.00 plus range per barrel of oil. That is approximately 3 1/2 times the 20-34$/bbl range, at current global prices... so I would imagine that there should be a green light approach by the government to proceed, correct?

It does require large amounts of energy, best obtained either from small nuclear (PBR for example) plants or seriously cool solar concentrators for direct thermal energy conversion. Last year/this year shell pushed congress to expand the amount of land they can test on since the fedgov "owns" all the land that this "shale oil" sits under.

Aside from that, the Germans did that, and in fact, extracted coal and produced enough petroleum to run their war machine between 1938-1945. All I am suggesting here is that the technology has certainly existed for at least 70 years! It would appear to me, based upon your above, that the Federal Government should, if indeed there really is an energy crisis, open up such researves and make them available NOW! As a sidebar to this, the South African govenment used the same technology during the oil embargo to power and produce energy for South Africa during that period of time with no substantial reduction to the economic viability.

The reason we don't hear about it is two-fold. One, Shell doesn't want the big hyped scenario from a ffew decades ago. They want to get it fully tested and "vetted" before going public in a big way.

This is major BULLSHIT! This technology is nothing new. It has existed and proven to work for at least seven decades!

Second, and this is my supposition, they want to let OPEC and the others sit and stew in their soon-to-be-glass house. Let them hang themselves, if you will. With prices remaining high they can take advantage of it to build "escrow" for building the needed infrastructure. If they can control the full cycle they'll be fully independent of OPEC and all foreign crude. I suspect they are also waiting to see how far the current E85 movement gets.

Good luck on your 'glass house' theory. The problem is that there is no problem that hasn't already been created by government. A truly open and free market approach to this could and would have long ago (decades ago actually) resolved much of this, and a long, long time ago.

Kindest regards,
Frank