Ron Paul embarrassed himself again in the recent GOP debate, suggesting that
our presence in Iraq was what caused the Sept. 11 attacks, a curious
chronology. Even if you take him to mean our presence in the Mideast, it is
clear that he fundamentally does not understand the nature of the war between
the U.S. and the Islamo-fascists. I wonder how many libertarians do.

I'm curious as to whom those of you still reading this list are supporting for
the 2008 race. If you're registered as a Republican, towards whom are you
leaning? Same if you're registered as a Dem. Even if you're not, which
candidate from each party would you prefer?

For the moment, I am reluctantly leaning towards Giuliani, though I also have
at least somewhat positive views of Tommy Thompson, Tancredo, Hunter and
Gilmore, though I don't really know that much about the last four, so they may
actually be entirely unacceptable to me on other grounds. I don't like Romney -
too slick, health care program in Mass. - Huckabee the tax and spending booster
or McCain (and his backing of the disastrous immigration proposal seals that
one) or Brownback (same). I'm not excited about the prospect of a Fred Thompson
entry, but would give serious thought to Newt Gingrich.

I think all the Democrats would be disasters, though Richardson would probably
be the least disastrous. I have no clue what's going on in the LP race.

Doug