Hi Markus & team ;-)

Markus Mohrhard wrote (07-12-12 22:35)

Since 4.0 we are able to use the cached values written into OOXML
files to prevent a slow recalculation when opening a file. Hoewever
Excel and Calc don't always give the same result for formulas so we
(Eike, Kohei and me) agreed that we need to give the user a choice
wether to recalculate the formulas or not. This is already implemented
[...]

It's not only a matter of speed and not always giving the same results. Unless I'm misinformed, it's a drastic change in behaviour. For the first time, users are sure they can always (?) open an Excel-sheet and be sure that what they see is what they get... I mean what they see is what has been saved. Especially in larger sheets, and those where undocumented or not yet solved differences in behaviour (reg. arguments or ranges for some formulae) exist.
I know some of those examples from real life.
Is my understanding correct?

Of course I think it deserves a clear explanation in Help and Release notes, with examples that help users understand whether they should bother at all. But also it looks as a very important new feature for enterprise deployments.

Cheers,

--
 - Cor
 - http://nl.libreoffice.org