Hi Christian, *,

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Christian Dywan <christ...@lanedo.com> wrote:
> I'm introducing a setting that decides if disabled menu items should be
> hidden. Currently the code is broken in the sense that items are hidden if
> disabled on all platforms and UpdateApplicationSettings which theortically
> does that is a) counter-intuitive and b) not set by platforms.

I'm not sure I understand.
I absolutely would hate it when the disabled menu-items were hidden
instead of just greyed out.

Why would you want to have that dependent on the Desktop-environment?
Either the user wants to hide them (but I doubt they really do want
that), or the user doesn't want it (like me).

So why should LO behave differently on KDE vs Gnome vs Windows in this regard?

> The patch sets the setting for KDE, KDE4 and OSX and uses it for the edit
> menu.

what effect is "setting this setting" - I don't understand. You mean
it defaults to hide them instead of greying them out for KDE* and OSX?

And I guess "uses it for the edit menu" means that your patch limits
its scope to one menu only for a proof-of-concept?

> Future steps are to use the setting for other menus and I think
> UpdateApplicationSettings should eventually be removed because it's
> completely mis-designed and confusing.

Well, not sure what your intention is, as I didn't fully understand
what you were trying to say, but you sure got my "veto" when hiding
the menus will be default/cannot be turned off.

ciao
Christian