Quick answer  :-) Thank you!
at the moment I'm having a look at ExcelToSc and ExcelToSc8 and have the
feeling that there is some amount of duplicate code...

During comparison of methods ExcRelToScRel and ExcRelToScRel8 I've
wondered if it shouldn't be nRow instead of nC in the initialisation of
bRowRel:
No, that code is correct.  In the Excel binary format, both column and
row flags are stored in the (unused) higher bits of the column index
bytes.

And it changed with versions? In ExcRelToScRel() I find

        if( nRow & 0x4000 )

and

        if( nRow & 0x8000 )

I'd expect nCol with your explanation from above...

Christina