On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Robert Martinez <m...@mray.de> wrote:

> My hint would be to try mumble. http://mumble.sourceforge.net/
> It is basically a teamchat application for gamers I believe, and it
> totally depends on having a server, but usually you find some free slots
> very easily. best of all is that depending on your connection speed you may
> get really awesome sound quality.
>
> This is not the solution you(or free software in general) want, but it
> could solve your problem right not.
>
> But I would test it before so you know it will work THIS TIME ;)

Thanks Robert (and also cryptie) for suggesting Mumble - I had never heard
of it.
I will try it out when I get a chance (especially if Yate doesn't work).

FSF: consider listing Mumble on the free skype replacement high priority
project page section so people might later have a chance at finding it!

(I did try testing things against my university laptop (which runs Windows
XP) but that's not always as reliable as testing against someone in another
country - I've been trying to get my brother to help me test from another
country. E.g. I got Jitsi on laptop (Windows) to work with Ekiga on desktop
(Parabola), but the same setup failed with my teacher (possibly due to
different Windows versions).)