Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 18:43:24 +0100
From: "Michael Heathcote" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: My little Tosh.

Dear list members,

As a new member to the list, I thought I would post my experience of my
little 'Tosh'.

I purchased my 50CT over 2 years ago as a replacement to my 8 year old
HP95LX palmtop, so I could run the HP connectivity pack to simulate my
HP95LX. I could then have access to all my many years of contacts and
mathematical 'solver equations'. The new range of HP300LX CE machines did
not have the HP95LX maths/calculator functions, so the 50CT was my answer,
but gave me a great deal more.

Question: Does anybody on the list have a utility to convert the HP95LX
address database into something more up to date ? The conversions possible
using the HP connectivity pack are themselves now out of date. I believe
that the Compuserve forum may have a program, but I am not a compuserve
member.

The first modification I carried out after the guarantee expired was an
overclock. This was mainly because playing MP3 tracks was very jittery, even
with the additional 16MB RAM, using WinAmp or MusicMatch.
I was quite disappointed to find the 75 chip, not the 120 chip (as at time
of purchase, the 70CT was available) so I carried out the 100 Hz
modification only.
This was certainly worthwhile, MP3 tracks now play smoothly.

Now after over 2 years of use, I have upgraded to the Toshiba 6Gb hard drive
model MK-6014MAP.
Basically no problem, being 9.5 mm tall, I took the bottom case off to
remove the 'plastic spacers'.
The only 'spacers' present were the 2 strips of clear glue used to stick
down the black sheet of plastic. This quickly dissolved with a wipe of white
spirit.

Question: Are these glue strips the plastic spacers that are mentioned in
the archives and elsewhere ? There were no other spacers fitted.

The new hard drive slipped in okay, although I have not overtightened the
case bottom screws, resulting in the top and bottom case not being as tight
fitting together as with the original 8.45 mm drive.

At this point I wanted to upgrade to 98SE, so not having a CD ROM drive, I
booted up using the original 95 install disc, which asked whether I wanted
to format the new unformatted drive. This it did to FAT32. I did not require
to use Fdisk.

I selected the most basic options of 95 with direct cable connection
accessory option, and 20+ floppies later it was installed.
Using direct cable connection I copied the 98SE CD to the hard drive,
rebooted using a 95 startup disk, and through DOS deleted everything except
the 98SE folder.
I then executed the setup.exe in the win98 folder, which did a 'clean'
install, not an 'upgrade'.
I had no problem with the external floppy drive, the driver was found
automatically by 98SE as an external Toshiba floppy disc drive !

Whether this was the correct method of install or not, it works !

For the record, the formatted size of the '6 GB' drive is reported as
5,959,852,032 bytes (5.54 GB).

My old hard drive I mounted in a 'Archos' external hard drive case with PC
card connection (Qdisk P/N QHD-1-B) which works great as a backup drive.
Highly recommended being very compact and quite cheap at only 45 pounds
sterling plus tax.

Two of the reasons why I upgraded the hard drive was so I could use my
Garmin eTrex GPS with mapping software (500 mb program) and store and play
more MP3 tracks.

Question: Finally, if you have read this far, does anybody on the list have
the definitive answer to whether a PC Card (16-bit) with USB ports is
available, or indeed possible ?
-and is it normal for 95 or 98SE to incorrectly report the PC card slot as
32-bit in my 50CT ?

Thankyou,
Mike.