Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:38:28 -0400
From: "Pres Waterman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Boot+run Win2K from PC-card drive?

> My Libretto 110 reports an HDC error and will only boot from the floppy
> drive to an A: prompt. (C: is created as a RAM drive by the recovery
> diskette). The BIOS reports there is no HD available.
>
> Problem:
> I currently don't have the resources to resolve this where I am now
> (Thailand).
>
> Idea:
> Suppose I get a friend in the west to procure a Toshiba MK2001MPL 2Gb
> PC-card drive, copy the contents of a Win2K CD onto it, and ship it to
me -
> could I
> boot from my recovery diskette, do a Win2K installation from the files on
> the PC-card drive, and thereafter persuade the Libretto to boot from the
> PC-card drive (with the non-functioning OE drive still in place)?

Very unlikely. The Libretto expects a floppy on the PC card. How could you
tell it otherwise?

OTOH why do you want a Libretto with a non-functioning drive? Have your
friend get a replacement drive, f-disk it in a Libretto to get the
hibernation partition, format and sys: it to make it bootable, and copy the
contents of the WIN2k into c:\disks\win2k

Alternatively if you can't get a Libretto to f-disk it in, reserve at the
end enough for hibernation. David Chein can advise on this.

If the drive works in the Libretto you can install the drive and the OS. If
the HDD controller is fried, sell it for the value of the display.

Pres Waterman W2PW
c/o Patchogue Motors, Inc.
Long Island Ford and Kia dealer

GO BILLS!