Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:34:47
From: "neil barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Libretto Digest #1248

This works for Mandrake 6.1 and 7.1 with reservations. I'm working from
memory here so excuse a certain amount of vagueness...

Assuming you have a suitable space on your disc (if you have to move things
around to make such a space, then something like partition magic will do it.
The cut down version that comes with Caldera2.4 is fine for this if you can
accept the limitation in partition size choice)

OR format a clean hard drive on the lib with about 700M for dos and the rest
unused. Use whatever means necessary to read the CDRom and copy it all to
the hard drive. Remember where you put it! You get to format the rest of the
disk later as part of the install - don't forget to leave the last 40M or so
unused for the hibernation space.

Man6: go to the \dosutils and run autobot.bat from dos. It will ask for the
location of the mandrake install directory.

Man7:go to the \dosutils directory and follow the instructions to make a
boot floppy for a hard disc install (it needs to have initrd.hd as the boot
image). Then boot from the floppy and type 'install text' and you're away.
It wants to know where the mandrake directory is as well. One word of
warning - make sure you don't try and load in expert mode - there isn't
enough memory on the Lib to do that.

One other option - do it all under windows with PhatLinux
<www.phatlinux.com> This uses a huge windows file that pretends to be a
linux file system so it's a little slower but it's an easy install as it's
all in windows.

Cheers,

Neil