Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 00:23:16 +0100
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: new libretto and already in trouble :)

> Ok, If you have all of debian's driver disks on 3.5'' floppies, (or
> already on the harddrive) then that should work, you'll only run into
> problems if you need something off the CD rom. I was under the
> impression that you had tried to load debian and more or less failed
> part way through it, and then try to reload windows and failed half
> way through that also. Thus leaving you with a more or less unusable
> hard drive needing reformatting. And a cd rom not working with
> anything any more.

My situation was as described above, although I haven't downloaded all the debian
drivers (i would have done, just to get it up and running). :)

I tried with the toshiba recovery disk again and realised that it /was/ installing
some kind of cdrom drivers and the problem was actually with the re-formatting of my
HD. (I was getting confused :)  So I fdisk-ed by hand any trace of my ext2 partitions.

After attempting the toshibe recovery several times, finally it formatted my disk back
to the  2partitions of 2 Gb a piece. A "Complete recovery" failed but out of interest
I tried a "standard recovery" and that gave me a basic install in Win98 although I
still couldn't see my cd rom.. (i know,,, having installed from it.. !)

Figured this was a  "standard" versus "complete" problem, so tried again with the
recovery disk - picked "complete recovery", it went to reboot and never came back up
again. The recovery disk is corrupted somehow.

Found some info here:-
http://support.toshiba-tro.de/internet/machines/libretto/libr110/libr110.htm

which indicates an issue of their 110 recovery disk failed to re-format HD's correctly
and didn't do a complete recovery properly, a known bug they have appeared to have
fixed. I however have no window's computers to run the .exe's from the website on.
I don't know what happened to the recovery disk, if I try and boot I get a black
screen with a flashing cursor top left, and nothing responds. Without it I get
prompted for a system disk.

Well - I'll probably leave it till tomorrow, but if anyone has any good ideas.. . :)

Cheers :)
--lucy