Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 09:26:04 +1000
From: Dan Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: in car power supply

G'Day Neil,
                   All the info I have came from Dr. Xin's site
www.fixup.net in the cool tips section, I know what everyone is saying
about dirty power from both motorbikes and cars. I know I was taking a
risk in plugging my little libby in to the car but I did and it
survived, so did all the others that are talked about on Xin's site...
       For me the Libretto is impractical as a desktop machine, it's
just too small, but in combination with a GPS it is brilliant for in-car
navigation as well as hiking and camping. The cost of extended batteries
(I would love a couple!) is insane, especially when one Australian
Dollar is worth half a U.S. and a third of  a Pound! The libby cost me
$800 Australian including C.D Rom, network and modem card. This was very
cheap and I could not pass it up. However, batteries are $140 for normal
and $220 for extended, I cannot justify even one...
       I was put on to Xin's site and found the cheater circuit there to
trick the beast into accepting 12 Votls as an input. The photos on the
site and replies from users all over the world convinced me it was safe
(replies are in the cool talk section). The battery is fused as is the
Libby itself and the where's and how-to's of repairing a broken fuse are
all shown and described.
       As I said, I understand all of the concerns and negatives of
doing what I do, but having done it now for two plus years I am happy
with what I am doing and will quite happily point people in the
direction of Xin's site. It is the only practical means for me to use
the Libretto's functionality.
       I  do have an inveter mounted in my 4x4, and have on occasion
used that to power the Libretto, however the current consumption, as I
am sure you know, is well up compared to a direct connection.
       What are your thoughts on all of this Neil? How do you power your
unit and what do you use it for mainly?

       I would be interested to hear from other users as to their uses
and means in regards to their Librettos.

       Best Regards,
                                   Dan Baker.