Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:51:43
From: "neil barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hibernation problem

>Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:18:39 +0200
>From: "Azcona, Ibon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Hibernation problem
>
>Hello to everybody,
>
>I came across with this mailing list due to a problem I was trying to
>solve. I´ve a 100CT Libretto and recently upgraded to Windows 98.
>As soon as I installed it a new problem came up: the hibernation
>stopped working properly, I mean, every time I try to resume the
>Libretto hangs. I try to use the Ctrl+Alt+Del several times and finally
>I get the Task Menu indicating me: Msgsrv32 (Not Responding), after
>I close that program, I can use the Libretto without problems.
>
>Has anybody had this or a similar problem? I´d be very grateful for
>whom would help me.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Regards,
>

>Ibon.

This problem is common on my W95b installation on a ct50, usually occurs on
shutdown, or as you note, after a hibernation. The ms knowledge base
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q169/9/87.asp?FR=1
indicates that this is something to do with the power management, but I
never managed to cure it completely by the methods they suggest - killing
the advanced power controls.

My 50 is unstable when hibernating windows but has no problems with linux -
I have no idea why that might be.

There's a lot of mention of this problem on the net (you've probably seen
them!) which suggests that microsoft is incompatible with quite a lot of
hardware and software out there - from Norton antivirus to HP printers.

<sound effect = smacking head with hand>
<sarcasm mode = on>
What am I talking about? I mean, of course, that the hardware and software
is not compatible with windows. I think :)

Seriously - if you've had to kill the msgsrv program, the system is probably
screwed and you're recommended to restart.

Neil