Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 09:54:33 -0800
From: Skip Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Auto Air Adapters

> Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 10:04:36
> From: "neil barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [LIB] Auto Air Adapters
>

> I have an empower version bought in the UK but it came in US packaging. It's
> 15v only - with a soap-on-a-rope adaptor in line - and has a car power
> adaptor, and then an adaptor from *that* to the in-flight connector. Oddly,
> the car adaptor is just too small for my car (Fiat) power point, so I have
> to wedge it a bit :) Sometimes the pretty green light goes out, but it still
> seems to work.
>
> It throws out RF but not enough to obscure - and as I tend to use it to
> listen to MP3 on the move, it doesn't matter. I dunno if it works on planes,
> I never get to sit in the expensive seats with power :)
>
> btw - it's probably not stable on 1.5A power supply because the effective
> output impedance is too high...1.5/12v equates to 1.2/15v and that's not
> really enough to run the lib...plus switch modes don't like (usually) to run
> without a load, it upsets their regulation.

  I made an adaptor for my 100CT by cutting off the Lib power connector
  from a frayed Toshiba AC power adaptor ( PA2501U ), and soldering it to
  a car DC power connector from Radio Shack (which also came with a little
  ring for use on car power plugs that are larger than standard).

  I used it two weeks ago on an 11 hour flight to Japan.  I obviously didn't
  have the equipment to measure the current, but the 12V plug on the AA
  777 (which did not need the in-flight connector BTW) kept my 100 fully
  charged the entire flight.

--
 Dr. Everett (Skip) Carter      Phone: 831-641-0645 FAX:  831-641-0647
 Taygeta Scientific Inc.        INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]